Pension scheme to secure lives of 5 crore farmers in three years
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved a new Central Sector Scheme, a historic decision that will empower farmers across India. This is a path-breaking scheme that will provide pension cover to our industrious farmers who toil day and night to keep our nation fed.
- It is also for the first time since independence that such a pension coverage has been envisioned for farmers.
- It is estimated that 5 crore small and marginal farmers will benefit in the first three years itself. The Central Government would spend Rs. 10774.50 crore for a period of 3 years towards its contribution (matching share) for providing social security cover as envisaged under the scheme.
PM-KISAN Scheme extension to include all eligible farmer families irrespective of the size of land holdings
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved that the ambit of the Pradhan Mantri KisanSamman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) would be comprehensively extended. With this decision, all landholding eligible farmer families (subject to the prevalent exclusion criteria) would avail of the benefits under this scheme.
- The revised Scheme is expected to cover around 2 crores more farmers, increasing the coverage of PM-KISAN to around 14.5 crore beneficiaries, with an estimated expenditure by the Central Government of Rs. 87,217.50 crores for the year 2019-20.
- Cabinet decision pertaining to expanding the ambit PM-KISAN marks the fulfillment of a major promise made by the Prime Minister to the people of India in the run-up to the 2019 Parliamentary elections. The BJP manifesto too mentioned this major policy decision.
Dr. K. Kasturirangan Committee submits the Draft National Education Policy to the Union HRD Minister