PIB (30/05/2019): UPSC Current affairs to prepare for UPSC exam
Educate, enlighten and empower Women: Vice President
- The Vice President of India, Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu demanded to implement progressive measures like reservations in Parliament and State Legislatures for empowering women through education.
- The Vice President said that educating a girl was equivalent to educating an entire family while educating a man was tantamount to educating an individual, while interacting with girl students from Carmel Convent School, Chanakyapuri, at his residence today.
- The Vice President advised the young students to be part of the transformation to build a New India, referring to the call given by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi to ‘Reform, Perform and Transform.
A series of events planned for this year’s World Environment Day
- Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC) celebrates World Environment Day (WED) on 5th June, focussing on the theme declared by UNEP and organizes several events based on this year’s theme ‘Air Pollution’.
- The Secretary of MoEFCC, Shri C.K. Mishra launched the theme song in the presence of the artists involved with the song, today in New Delhi.
- Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change has recently launched the National Clean Air programme (NCAP) which is a mid-term 5 Year Action Plan with targets of 20-30% reduction of PM 2.5 and PM 10 concentration in 102 cities, out of which 84 cities have already submitted their action plan to combat air pollution.
Fastags can Now be Purchased Online through Amazon
- Fastags are now available on e-commerce platform Amazon and earlier launched by IHMCL, a company promoted by NHAI, in January 2019.
- The DIY(Do-It-Yourself) concept of NHAI Fastag is that a customer can self-activate it by entering customer and vehicle details in My Fastag mobile app and customer will have to link the tag to an existing bank account of choice.
- By increasing user convenience and offering seamless digital payments of toll, the online availability of NHAI Fastag by IHMCL will eventually help enhanced adoption of Fastag program.
Popular science books serve an important purpose of science communication: Secretary DST
- Prof. Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, today released four popular science books published by Vigyan Prasar in a book release function held at Indian National Science Academy (INSA) in New Delhi.
- The books released were, ‘Voyage to Antarctica’ authored by Dr. Felix Bast, ‘Story of Consciousness’ authored by Dr.Govind Bhattacharya, ‘An Autobiography of Moon’ authored by Dr. Ramesh Shishu and ’Sambhu Nath De – The Discovery of Cholera Toxin’ authored by Dr. M S S Murthy.
- The books have been published by the Institute of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Vigyan Prasar.