10.3 Lakh Crore Collected in 2017-18 Financial Year Under Direct Tax
Conference of Income-Tax Administrators of Eastern Zone was organized for two days in Guwahati. It started with two-minute silence in tribute to Former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Conference was about the development that has to be taken and revealed that 10.3 lakh crore direct taxes collected in the country for 2017-18 financial year. The conference was hosted after a gap of five years and was attended by more than 60 senior officers of Income-Tax Department of the eastern zone.
Smt Bhattasali, Member of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), mentioned part from Prime Minister’s Independence Day speech with regards to increase in tax payers count and listed achievements in tax returns this year. Shri L C Joshi Ranee, Principal Chief Commissioner Income Tax, North Eastern Region addressed the gathering with achievements and future goals of the north eastern region.
Notable points in speech
- 92 crore Income Tax returns were filed in financial year 2017-18, which is 1.31 crore more than previous years.
- 06 crore new returns were filed during 2017-18 and in NER it is 1.89 lakh
- In the current year department plans to add 1.25 crore new filers across the country
- In north eastern region the tax collection is NER Rs 7,097 crore which is 16.7% higher than previous year.
- Income tax department of north eastern region plans to file Rs 8,357 crore returns in this year.
- To improve tax services Aaykar Seva Kendras have already been opened at 22 out of 29 stations in NER.
- New offices are being opened in far-flung areas to deliver tax payer services such as registration and delivery of PAN, TAN and for ease of filing tax returns.
Broad Objectives of the Board:
- Develop strategies for augmenting revenue
- Ideas on increasing the tax base
- Discussion on providing higher standards of tax payer’s service, apart from dealing with other technical and administrative subjects.
- To increase all round tax awareness in the region